[*BCM*] Ghost Bike

Thomas Vitolo tjvitolo at tommyvitolo.com
Wed Jan 5 08:26:55 EST 2011

The nature of the complaints were: it's time to move on.
We don't get it restored.
The Town of Brookline owns the land; it was on the sidewalk.

The bike was up for a year and a half, and was well maintained and
re-flowered on a regular basis by individuals and by the nearby Trader
Joe's.  I think that it was left up for a year and a half was remarkable
-- the Town showed some real community and understanding in leaving it
up that long.  I would add that the Brookline police officer who spoke
with both Rebecca and me about it said that the family visited the site
on the one year anniversary and was pleased that the bicycle was there
at that time.  That the bicycle provided the family some comfort -- and
that the police officers know that -- suggest that in addition to the
comfort, the bicycle provided a reminder to the police that bicycle
issues aren't important.

I believe that the Ghost Bicycle was an important piece of both healing
for the family and bicycle safety within Brookline.  But Ghost Bikes
aren't permanent fixtures, nor should they be.  I think that the Town
did the right thing in leaving it up as long as it did, and did the
right thing in removing it.

Finally, I thank the person who put the bike there in the first place.
She's an A-OK lady in my book.

Tommy Vitolo
tjvitolo at tommyvitolo.com