[*BCM*] Bike Share program

Paul Steckler steck at stecksoft.com
Fri Apr 29 18:11:32 EDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 3:05 AM, Turil <thewiseturtle at gmail.com> wrote:
> In other words, if you know the laws and the standards (often in
> opposition to one another!) then Boston is extremely safe to bike
> around.  I'd rather bike in Boston than pretty much anywhere else,
> including "bicycle friendly" Portland, Oregon with it's really
> anti-bicyclist infrastructure (aiming to keep bicyclists out of the
> roads).

Having lived in both cities, I much prefer cycling in Portland, though
I've had close scrapes and run-ins with drivers in both. Portland has
lots of nice quiet streets, including "bicycle boulevards", where you can
avoid traffic. In Boston, I encountered much more driver hostility.
Also, in Portland, people expect you to take your bike on light rail
(there are hooks on the trains) where in Boston, I often got dirty looks
from MBTA staff and riders when I brought my bike on the T.

-- Paul