[*BCM*] Ten Days in jail for intentionally striking cyclists with vehicle

Mickey Barr mickeyjbarrs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 15:16:28 EDT 2010

Hey all,

This has been all over the Chicago Critical Mass list.. thought I'd share
the links, Facebook group, and give info on who to contact if you feel this
slap on the wrist punishment sends the wrong message to the public about
attempted murder with a deadly weapon against cyclists...

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/06/brookfield-running-down-bicyclist-illed-armando-reza-guilty.html

http://www.mybikeadvocate.com/2010/06/ten-days-in-jail-for-intentionally.html

http://www.desplainesvalleynews.com/062410-two-men-sentenced-for-hitting-bicyclists.php#/

http://www.facebook.com/protozoa?v=wall&story_fbid=131552973532463#!/group.php?gid=126894400680131<http://www.facebook.com/protozoa?v=wall&story_fbid=131552973532463#%21/group.php?gid=126894400680131>

The two people to write/fax are--

Timothy C. Evans, Chief Judge
50 W. Washington
2600 Richard J. Daley Center
Chicago, IL 60602
Main Office: 312-603-6000
FAX: 312-603-5366 (This is the fax number if you want to send a fax)

AND

Edmund Ponce de Leon, Presiding Judge
Fourth Municipal District
Circuit Court of Cook County
1500 Maybrook Dr.
Maywood, IL 60153
708-865-4952 FAX  (This is the fax number if you want to send a fax)

Sample letter--

Dear Honorable Judge Ponce de Leon

I am writing to express my outrage and disgust regarding the sentence handed
down by Judge Carol Kipperman on June 15, 2010 to Armando Reza for
aggravated battery with a deadly weapon for intentionally running down a
bicyclist on May 31, 2009. As a longtime commuter cyclist, I feel that this
sentence is far too lenient and sends the wrong message to those who would
commit vehicular assault upon us. While the cyclist was thankfully not
seriously injured, this was a wanton, intentional act of attempted murder.

I ask you to do everything in your power to increase this sentence to
include not only a longer incarceration period but to also impose
restorative justice. Furthermore, I sincerely hope that Reza's co-defendant,
Erik Fabian, receives a sterner penalty at his sentencing and that
restorative justice is additionally imposed.

Please recognize the considerable vulnerability of cyclists versus the motor
vehicles we share the road with, and see to it that the judges under your
watch do the same. Thank you for your attention on this important matter.

Sincerely,
[your name here]