[*BCM*] Police: Didn't see a bike? That's "reasonable and prudent."

Dave Atkins datkinsg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 17:14:28 EDT 2010

Loophole in new cyclist bill of rights law: rule against right hook
does not apply if the motorist DID NOT PASS the cyclist. However, the
fact that a cyclist is riding to right is not a DEFENSE to motorist
who causes accident. Did the motorist signal her turn? How are any of
the undoubtedly confused statements of the injured cyclist relevent to
the officer's judgement of the situation? I can tell you from personal
experience how when you been hit by a car you will probably say things
to minimize the situation. These accidents should not be within the
discretion of a police officer to simply wave the motorist on her way
because, in his mind, she was "reasonable and prudent." That is a
legal standard, not a situational judgement call.

Dave Atkins