[*BCM*] FW: 2010 Bicycle Relay-Race at Harvard?

Anne Buckingham goannego at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 13:37:32 EST 2009

Given that they're talking about doing this next July, they're offering cash
prizes and a car to the winners (which would give issues if any of the
athletes were NCAA), and there's no website or confirmed place to do hold
the event, plus the fact that the numbers submitted seem entirely made up
(24K people per day? On what basis?  How many riders?  Will they self select
or do the colleges have to submit a team) and the claim it will be televised
(over six days? In Boston on Fourth of July weekend? Are you kidding?) I
really wouldn't worry about it. The other pitch (that it gets lots of
prospective students to the campus) isn't something that Harvard has a
problem doing.  And given that the theory is that the participants are
already in college, it is a bit of a moot issue anyway.

They're pitching it as an opportunity for Harvard to make money for itself.
But the Harvard guys are smarter than this e-mail.  And if for some reason
Harvard did decide to do it, there is zero preventing them from taking this
idea and making it their own.  So odds of this coming off?  Zip.

2009/11/22 Louise Johnson <lsj2020 at gmail.com>

> Harvard is about the last organization I would consider doing a fund
> raising event for.  What planet are you on?  Louise Johnson
>
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Jess Phillips Jr <jessphillipsjr at msn.com>wrote:
>

>> ------------------------------
>> From: jessphillipsjr at msn.com
>> To: info at northeastbicycleclub.org
>> Subject: FW: 2010 Bicycle Relay-Race at Harvard?
>> Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 15:51:26 -0600
>>

>>   Re – Bicycle Relay-Race 2010 in Cambridge, MA
>>
>> Dear NEBC, as you can see below, we're planning a unique cycling event for
>> the Boston, MA, area next year. We sure would appreciate the help of your
>> Boston/Cambridge area members with planning this race.
>>
>> Sincerely
>>
>> Jess Phillips, Jr. <http://phillips88.com/Jess_Phillips_Jr.htm>
>>
>> jessphillipsjr at msn.com
>> 409-454-7365 <http://www.%20409-454-7365/>
>> http://phillips88.com
>>

>> ------------------------------
>> From: jessphillipsjr at msn.com
>> To: president at harvard.edu; council at cambridgema.gov
>> CC: brad_quigley at harvard.edu; jen_flynn at harvard.edu;
>> sara_aske at harvard.edu; info at quadbikes.org; awashbur at fas.harvard.edu
>> Subject: 2010 Bicycle Relay-Race at Harvard?
>> Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 08:19:08 -0600
>>

>>   To: Drew G. Faust – President, Harvard University
>>
>> Re *– 2010 Bicycle Relay-Race at Harvard?*
>>

>> Dr. Faust:
>>
>> The purpose of this email is to seek your office’s help with bringing a
>> large college bicycle relay-race to the *Harvard *campus next year. My
>> name is Jess Phillips, Jr <http://phillips88.com/Jess_Phillips_Jr.htm>.
>>  I am a retired NFL football player and head of the Relay-Race 100
>> organizing committee. We are an eclectic assortment of bicyclist from around
>> the country. As you can see below, we had originally planned to have this
>> event in Bermuda. However, after conferring with prospective sponsors and
>> the fact that each of these college students would have to get visas and
>> passports to travel to Bermuda, we have decided to have this collegiate
>> relay-race in a more easily accessible U.S. city.
>>
>> The plan is to have each major U.S. and Canadian college/university
>> submit a coed, four person bicycle relay team. Each of the four team members
>> – two males & two females -- will race 25 miles. The top three fastest teams
>> will receive trophies and prizes. The ideal dates being *Tuesday, June 29
>> th to Sunday, July 4th, 2010*.
>>
>> This would be a great fund raising opportunity for the university. And it
>> will attract hundreds of prospective future students to your campus. We
>> expect this relay-race will attract 24,000 plus people per day. That
>> includes race participants, their families, friends, spectators and press
>> from all over the country. Each of these 24,000 daily visitors will spend,
>> on average, $17.00 per day while at this event. *Keep in mind this will
>> be a six day event*. $17.00 x 24,000 = $408,000,000 in gross daily sales.

> [...]

Anne Buckingham, LL.M.
Mobile: +44 (0) 7805 456 901

Be well, do good work, and keep in touch. - Garrison Keillor