[*BCM*] Bike Racks in Brookline and hopefully A-B

tjvitolo at bu.edu tjvitolo at bu.edu
Wed Jun 17 10:54:00 EDT 2009

Hey guys.

I'm on the Brookline Bicycle Advisory Committee (though not speaking on
their behalf) and helped procure and site many bike racks in Brookline.
  In fact, we've got some more coming -- post and hitch style which
will use currently existing parking meter posts.

We got our racks a number of ways:
  * MAPC grant (
http://www.mapc.org/transportation/bike_parking_program/intro.html )
  * included on major road projects like the Beacon St project
  * donations from individuals/businesses (a new Brookline program)

If you want bike racks in your neighborhood, I recommend you do the following:

1.  Print out color google satellite images of the local areas, zoomed
in enough to precisely mark where you'd like the rack.
2.  Mark the maps clearly, being thoughtful about sidewalk clearance,
nearby racks, car doors opening, crosswalks and curbcuts, and any other
reason why your spot might not be a great one.
3.  Indicate priority.  A location near a coffee shop with no meters or
sign posts and along a bike corridor has higher priority than in front
of a furniture store where there's sign posts and meters and a bike
rack 100' away.
4.  Prioritize public gathering places like libraries, schools, parks,
etc. as well as local businesses and larger apartment buildings.
5.  Identify business owners who would like a bike rack in front of
their store.
6.  Include photos of your location requests.
7.  Suggestion what kind of rack to place in each location.  Please
read Cambridge's bike rack brochure (pdf) first to understand which
racks are best where:
http://www.cambridgema.gov/cdd/et/bike/bike_pkng_brochure.pdf

Once you've gathered up all of this information, pass it on!  If you're
interested in Allston or Brighton, I might include:
  * Nicole Freedman (Boston Bike Coordinator,
Nicole.Freedman.bra at cityofboston.gov  )
  * MassBike
  * Tommy Vitolo (me!), who has created a nifty web-based mapping
program to help visualize all of this
  * Mayor Menino's office
  * Your state rep Mike Moran ( Rep.MichaelMoran at hou.state.ma.us ) to
see if he can help with regional funding.

Those are listed in order of likely helpfulness.  In Brookline, our
biggest challenge is funding.  There's widespread political support for
installing bike racks, but nobody wants to pay for them.  While I find
it frustrating that the Town spends millions of dollars on parking
garages but won't budget for bike rack equipment, we were able to get
some grants and will continue to work on installing more racks around
Town.

/** On a slightly related side note, Harvard St in Brookline has
on-and-off bike lanes and lots of bike racks, but as soon as one
crosses the northern border into Boston (and onto Harvard Ave) the bike
lane stops.  Bike racks do exist between Comm and Brighton, and the
road is certainly wide enough to install a bike lane there, which would
help to lengthen the bike corridor that Brookline has already
(incompletely) implemented along that axis.  A corridor extending to
Cambridge St and one along Brighton Ave would do well to complement the
pre-existing infrastructure on Harvard St and the coming-soon! bike
lanes on Comm Ave west of the BU Bridge. **/

While bike lanes aren't the single most critical piece of
infrastructure necessary to move toward a more bike-friendly Boston
Metro, they are a piece which helps raise social acceptance of
bicycles, are a piece which doesn't tend to generate much opposition,
and are relatively cheap, so it's a nice place to start when trying to
make one's community more bike friendly.  Best of luck!

Tommy Vitolo
Member, Brookline Bicycle Advisory Committee
tjvitolo at bu.edu