[*BCM*] MA bike bill passes

Brendan Larrabee yoyoboy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 20:57:36 EST 2009

In regards to the repeal of Chapter 85: Section 11A. Bicycles; registration,
does this now mean that all current registration laws are now repealed,
and/or that future town/city laws requiring bicycle registration are
forbidden?
I find this particularly interesting given that Brookline is currently in
the planning stages of a bill requiring mandatory bike registration. And
while this bill has been proposed under the pretense of helping track down
stolen bikes, it seems that the underlying sentiment behind it would be to
further penalize bikers bad riding habits.
It would seem to me that in the event of bikers breaking traffic laws that
the biker in question is ticketed, and not the bike. Any input from people
with police incounters in Cambraidge. Also I would imagine that it would
futher discourage people from riding in the first place.
COMMENTS?