[*BCM*] Bostoncriticalmass Digest, Vol 62, Issue 34

Ian Thistle idiotkid at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 15:57:36 EDT 2009

Charvak's thoughts mainly echo my own.  In Europe and even Canada, bike
lanes are usually completely separate from the road and parked cars, with a
divider in the way, like in the following pictures:
http://www.fixpert.com/images/2007/08/italy-separate-bike-lane.jpg (Italy)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2657/3857774264_b63c5b50cf.jpg (Montreal)

While this does reinforce the notion that bikes belong "off the road," it
absolutely provides a safe space for people to bike without having to worry
about double parkers or opening doors.

But in this country, they are too often just lines drawn in the street
between a line of parked cars and the "car lane." Often these are drawn
without widening the street at all, so there is the same amount of actual
space as before, but while bikes previously had access to the whole lane,
with the bike lane drawn in, drivers think they belong in that little space
on the side of the road.  So, I would argue that bike lanes such as in the
picture on the flyer are significantly detrimental to safety of cyclists.

Bike lanes in the US seem more of a knee-jerk concession towards cyclists
than something actually planned and implemented to increase riders' safety.