[*BCM*] 4am ride

Hiroyuki Yamada hyamada at MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 14 22:51:59 EDT 2009

fixie = 2 syllables, fixed gear = 2 syllables; 2 =! 2?

unless you say "fix-ed" or "gee-ur," I think more of the issue is the
two hard consonants back to back  :"icksT-Ge" (ish, I could look up the
IPA for it, but I think this is clear).

Either way, "Fixed Gear" is a bit of a misnomer, the British term (fixed
wheel) is a bit more accurate. that said, to someone who doesn't know
what you're talking about (i.e. someone who doesn't ride bikes or know
the bike culture) just saying "I ride fixed" won't be enough, and "fixed
gear" or "fixie" sounds like a distinct entity in and of itself -- and
more to the point, who gives a rat's ass?

Tracy : If you don't like the term, don't use it -- just as with
anything (riding in the road, observing proper etiquette, utilizing
signals, etc) about the best you can manage is to vote with your own
actions, and to bollocks with anyone else. If you don't ride Fixie/fixed
gear/fixed wheel, chances are you'll only ever hear it used by someone
else, and in that case, just smile quietly to yourself in your inherent
superiority for not using a "silly" phrase.

Myself, I'll continue to ride my fixie, and call it a single speed,
fixed gear road bike when the time is appropriate, and fixie when
appropriate. If someone calls my bike a penguin, I might think they were
wrong, or even silly, but I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist about it.

Tah,
-Yuki