[*BCM*] boston's bike sharing program

Hiroyuki Yamada hyamada at MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 14 12:41:26 EDT 2009

The other thing to note (not sure if these details are available yet) is
location of the stands -- will there be ones out in the 'burbs, where
there actually useful for pre-post-train trips? e.g. davis, porter,
lechmere, etc. If they are only situated in the City of Boston (i.e. NOT
cambridge, somerville, brookline etc) then they will serve less purpose
-- once you're in the back bay or downtown there are T stops close
enough that you might not need to bike.

Something I can see them being useful for is biking TO the grocery store
(or other errands -- pharmacy, bank, etc), dropping the bike off while
you shop, and then biking back home, dropping the bike off a ~5-10 min
walk from home. Granted, most people don't want to carry a backpack able
to hold their groceries, but for small trips and such, it'd be nice to
not have to, again, spend more than 1/2 the time of the trip just
walking to or from their destination/bus stop/train station.

Pofitability might be an issue, especially at first -- are there any
provisions for the City to pad their early losses to allow the program
to settle in?

Also, as with Zipcar, are the rates past 30 min/each increment dastardly
high? I know people who've gotten zipcars back 2-5 minutes late, and had
to pay $50-75 as a result (some of these have been argued against and
won, but still..)

Overall sounds like a pretty good program though..

-Yuki