[*BCM*] Reg by 4/23 for the BNB Bike-A-Thon & come to our party, AND WE WON!!!!

jasmine laietmark jasmine at bikesnotbombs.org
Tue Apr 21 14:56:35 EDT 2009

First of all, check this out: *BNB *VOTED *BEST LOCAL CAUSE IN THE BOSTON
PHOENIX
http://thephoenix.com/theBest/Boston/Life/LocalCause/#TOPCONTENT
*
We owe it to you: Bike-A-Thon riders, donors, and volunteers!

Now, please join us in our BIGGEST BOSTON BLAST OF THE YEAR! THE 22ND ANNUAL
BNB BIKE-A-THON & GREEN ROOTS FESTIVAL!!!

*SUNDAY JUNE 7! We encourage you to register NOW, so we can send you your
rider packet and invite you to all the great gatherings we have planned,
leading up to the ride… INCLUDING a party THIS THURS (see below)! *

*ASAP:

www.bikesnotbombs.org/bat09  (also find ride and prize info there)
*
Or call us at 617-522-0222

Or stop by the BNB Bike Shop <http://www.bikesnotbombs.org/bikeshop> in
Jamaica Plain!

There’s a small REGISTRATION FEE of $20 and $10 for under 18. (You can “win”
it back in gift certificate prizes.)
and the fundraising minimum is $150.00, made even easier to reach and
surpass with our great new personal online fundraising tools.

*The first EXCLUSIVE PARTY for registered Bike-A-Thon riders will be this
Thursday*, April 23. (See, register NOW!) Come down to the HUB (The Brewery
Complex, 284 Amory St, Jamaica Plain) 6:30-8:30 for jovial mixing with other
riders and BNB staff PLUS a wicked amusing and inspiring presentation on
fundraising tips by leading superstar Jon McCurdy.  We hope to see you!

Speaking of party…
As most of you know,
the after-party is the *SECOND ANNUAL GREEN ROOTS FESTIVAL*- an outdoor
festival  with live music, info tables, food, massage for riders, open to
the public. There’ll be amazing street-bands:

- SAMBA PERCUSSION by Marcus Santos & BLOCO AfroBrazil
- CLASSICAL STRINGS by A Far Cry
- STEEL DRUMS by Pan Xpressions (ok, they’re not totally confirmed)
- NEW ORLEANS BRASS by Second Line Pleasure and Aid Society
- KLEZMER by Emperor Norton’s Stationary Marching Band
- BODY & SPIRIT MOVING by Incus

…and there will be stilts, the famous cardboard slides, and way more,
including many environmental groups with info tables and at least one
performance about climate change involving sailing ships and a battle of
seasons. Hooray for SPONTANEOUS
CELEBRATIONS<http://www.spontaneouscelebrations.org>
!

ANNNDDDD
- The free Training Rides series are underway… and awesome!

They’re every weekend! It’s a great way to get in shape - especially if you
are coming out for that ambitious 62-mile ride - and it is a good way to get
to know your fellow riders… and have weekend FUN.

There are two sets of training rides, one designed to prepare for the 62
mile course, and one to prepare for the 25er.

25 mile training:
Sunday, April 26th at 11 am – 20 miles
Sunday, May 3rd at 11 am – 10 miles
Saturday, May 11th at 11 am – 15 miles
Saturday, May 23rd at 11 am – 20 miles

62 mile training:
Sunday, April 26th at 9 am – 45 miles
Sunday, May 3rd at 9 am – 50 miles
Saturday, May 9th at 9 am – 55 miles
Saturday, May 23rd at 9 am – 55 miles
Saturday, May 30th at 9 am – 62 miles!

Details and www.bikesnotbombs.org/bat09rides.

*And grab your buddies, your sister, your kids and start a TEAM.* We’ll post
team names on the website. And please consider trying to get your workplace
to match your team’s fundraising, because we’ll post them up there too!

- In other BNB news…

This month’s shipment to Tanzania’s Vijana Center is loaded and ready to go-
that’s about 500 donated bicycles to be sold at a shop which covers over 90%
of the costs of a school for orphans in Arusha. Thanks to all our volunteers
and donors!

Spring Earn-A-Bike is rolling along. The record number of Youth Instructors
are working with 16 students to build up some great bicycles, go on great
group rides, and have fun with the environmental justice curriculum.

New helmets, panniers, spring everything for you in at the BNB Bike Shop !!!
www.bikesnotbombs.org/bikeshop

Hoping to see you on a training ride, at the BNB Bike Shop, or at one of our
great parties! We hope you are having as much fun as we are.

Ride Smiling,

Jasmine Laietmark
Director of Grassroots Fundraising and Events

www.bikesnotbombs.org
617-522-0222 x106

Bikes Not Bombs promotes bicycle technology as a concrete alternative to war
and environmental destruction. For 25 years, BNB has been a nexus of bike
recycling and community empowerment both in lower income neighborhoods of
Boston and in the nations of the Global South. BNB's programs involve young
people and adults in mutually respectful leadership development and
environmental stewardship, while recycling 6,000 bicycles annually.