[*BCM*] Bicycle Commuter Act - Bailout

Dionne, James jdionne at SleepMed.md
Mon Nov 24 09:23:21 EST 2008

It's funny that this benefit was part of the 700 Billion Banker Bailout
Package. Tacked on to the bailout along with 150 Billion more in
sweeteners to get the DemeCorps and Republicrats to pass a
constitutionally illegal bill.

________________________________

From: bostoncriticalmass-bounces at bostoncriticalmass.org
[mailto:bostoncriticalmass-bounces at bostoncriticalmass.org] On Behalf Of
Jon Ramos
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 9:03 AM
To: Boston Critical Mass
Subject: [*BCM*] Bicycle Commuter Act - Bailout

"Starting next year, employers who provide bike parking, bathing
facilities, tune-ups, or other support for bicycle commuting, can deduct
up to $20 a month per participating employee from their own taxable
income."

http://greeninc.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/13/buried-in-the-bailout-the-b
icycle-commuter-act/

Good to know that I my employers will be saving money each month by my
riding to work each day.  My company has indoor bike parking, and
because we have so many bike commuters, they also reimburse up to $35 /
month towards a membership at the gym down the street so that we can
shower after our commute.  I think it is great that they can get some of
that money back.  Or better yet, maybe I'll ask to see some of that in
my paycheck. (but I won't hold my breath).

This act would be even better if it gave additional incentives to the
people who actually do the riding.  I would be satisfied as it stands,
but the more the gov't gives to the riders, the more riders there will
be, resulting in more businesses adding shower facilities etc.