[*BCM*] Bostoncriticalmass Digest, Vol 53, Issue 12

Robotica androidqueen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 14:29:04 EST 2008

Agreed.  There's a major difference between being sympathetic to cyclists
and taking pleasure in the fact that someone who may have been about to do
something nasty to a cyclist was seriously injured or killed.

-m

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Rachel Elizabeth Dillon <
rachel at akrasiac.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 06:59:14PM +0000, Martin Rodriguez wrote:
> > OK, correct me if I'm wrong:  the kid in the car was trying to do
> > what exactly to a cyclist?  Hit him?  Knock him off his bike?  What was
> > his intention?  Suppose he had been successful in knocking the cyclist
> > off of his bike, and it was the cyclist who was seriously injured?
>
> It's hard to tell for sure, but it looks like he was trying to injure
> the cyclist; or, rather, he was trying to somehow spook or shove the
> cyclist in a way likely to cause injury. A brief googling hasn't turned
> up anything authoritative.
>
> > I got on this email list because of an incident on my bike where some
> > passing motorists threw something out their windows at me as they passed
> > in their car.  I really don't like people in cars who do stuff like this
> > to cyclists.  My sympathies are ALWAYS with the cyclists, and I hoped
> > that viewpoint would be shared by others in this group.
>
> I like to think I have enough sympathy for both the cyclist and the kid
> who got hit by the car; it's not a zero-sum game. The cyclist didn't
> deserve to get injured by some kid pulling what he thought was a prank,
> and the kid didn't deserve to die for pulling a dangerous prank at
> someone else's expense. I'm not rushing to pay his funeral expenses
> and console his family, but if he had injured the cyclist, been caught
> on camera, and been brought to trial, I don't think any of us would be
> seriously advocating the death penalty. (At least, I would hope that
> viewpoint to be shared by others in the group, too.)
>
> -r.

ninjaneer.  geomancer.  licensed scientician.