[*BCM*] Storrow Drive

David St.Germain dave at st.germa.in
Sat Nov 1 15:21:13 EDT 2008

It's a shaky argument to say that critical mass should ride on Storrow
Drive simply because it's legal for bikes to be there.  I doubt it's
legal for bikes to ride in both lanes on Storrow Drive (which would've
continued if the motorcycle cop hadn't been there) or to exit Storrow
and turn left at a right-turn-only intersection, clogging traffic and
confusing drivers.  People also blocked cars heading in the opposite
direction, when there was no reason to do so other than to cause
trouble.
It's one thing to say that critical mass can go wherever it wants
because we're bicyclists, and drivers need to take notice.  It's
another to claim that critical mass is justified in riding on quasi-
highways because it's legal, while turning a blind eye to all of the
illegal directions the mass takes.

I also wouldn't hold up this instance as a reason to disband critical
mass or say "I told you so," as some people seem eager to do.  I think
the people at the front need better judgement about where they lead
hundreds of cyclists.  Don't block intersections if you don't have to;
don't go the wrong way down one-way streets; don't ride into oncoming
traffic; get out of the way if you hear sirens behind you.  If we need
more solidarity, it's solidarity of good judgement, not solidarity of
the righteousness of a cause.

Dave