[*BCM*] Party tonight at BNB

jasmine laietmark jasmine at bikesnotbombs.org
Fri May 9 08:58:57 EDT 2008

Yo bike rider-*
Support Bikes Not Bombs-

RIDE THE BIKE-A-THON!*
SUNDAY, JUNE 8
*
*RIDER PARTY FRIDAY, MAY 9th*

** JOIN THE FUN!*  Choose from 15, 25, or 62 mile routes.  Great for
distance trainers and racers!  Great for regular old bikers!  Great for
families!  Ride at your own pace with full support: maps, route markings,
mechanics, rest stops, food, and following vehicles.  This is the 21st
Annual Bike-A-Thon so we know how to take care of you.  Full details at
www.bikesnotbombs.org/bat08.

** Pre-Registration is now required* (details below).  Don't wait!  Register
now, start your fundraising, and get pre-ride support, activities, and
fundraising advice from BNB.  Once you're registered, BNB gives you a rider
packet, a pledge sheet, a coupon, and other goodies.

** REGISTER BY FRIDAY, MAY 9 and you are invited to* a special dinner party
here at the BNB Hub, 284 Amory St. in the Brewery, 6 - 8:30pm!  It's a
special gathering just for registered B.A.T. riders - complete dinner
including vegan pizza, and presentations by Carl Kurz (founder of BNB) and
Jon McCurdy (an amazing volunteer who was last year's top fundraiser). If
you and your friend still haven't registered by then, come on down to the
party and we can register you on the spot!

** **Prizes for top TEAMS & other categories*, including of course,
fundraising! And mind-boggling grand prizes: getaways for two in the woods
of Maine, one during the Micro-Brew Festival, both courtesy of Back Country
Excursions: famous MOUNTAIN BIKE MECCA!
*www.bikebackcountry.com*<http://www.bikebackcountry.com/>

** The after-party for your ride is the GREEN ROOTS FESTIVAL*- an outdoor
environmental festival with live music (featuring the Branches Pan Groove
Steel Drum Band and more), info tables (environmental orgs!) with
educational workshops, food (free dinner for riders), and it's open to the
public. This will be really fun as well as educational, and it's in honor of
you and your fellow riders! Keynote speaker is best-selling author *BILL
McKIBBEN*!

* RIDER MECHANICS NIGHTS
Thurs May 29, 7-9:30 pm
Thurs June 5th, 7-9:30 pm
Come to the BNB Hub for access to bike stands and basic tools so that you
can work on your own bike. You may be able to get some advice from other
folks working on their projects but you should come basically prepared for
what you want to do. We do not sell parts at the Hub so you'll need to
purchase parts in advance at the BNB Bike Shop. If you're planning an
advanced project check it out with us in advance.  This is only for
registered riders, and you must SIGN UP IN ADVANCE: We require sign-up to
make sure everyone gets enough stand-time. Please contact Adam, *
adam at bikesnotbombs.org* <adam at bikesnotbombs.org>. (Note: as always there
will be professional mechanics on hand when you show up Bike-A-Thon morning,
who will do basic bike checkups like tightening brakes, adjusting gear
shifting, checking your tire pressure, etc.  But these advance Rider
Mechanics nights let you do it yourself and maybe take on bigger projects.)

** *TRAINING RIDES FOR DISTANCE OR FOR FAMILIES
-Saturday, May 17
-Sunday, June 1
Get in shape for BNB's Bike-A-Thon on June 8th!  All are welcome, come out
for a fun ride. Both routes start at the same place and time but then go
their separate ways. MEET at the BNB HUB: 284 Amory St. Jamaica Plain - in
the Brewery Complex by Ula Cafe, at 10 AM. We'll be the crowd out in front
with the bikes. Bring your own snacks, water, and helmet (required). Join
these joyrides free of charge, but we'll pass the hat. Urban riding skills
required for "Long Ride".

LONG RIDE: As the weeks roll on, these rides will build up the miles
progressively - with eyes trained on the 62-mile route!  Pace will be
moderate and will adjust to the riders.  For May 17th we'll be getting up
just over 50 miles, but we hope to include an option for a group to break
off and have a ride in the 30-some mile range.  Contact Esther at *
ecervantes at abml.org* <ecervantes at abml.org> or 617-983-3665 for more
information on routes or to get in on the email group.

 FAMILY RIDE: This ride stays in parks as much as possible, returning to the
start location.  We take an easy pace to make it nice and fun for all
involved.  Trailers and trail-a-bikes are certainly welcome, as are young
and/or inexperienced riders.  Short miles, good company!  We're gradually
increasing towards the goal of 15 miles, which is the length of the
Bike-A-Thon's shortest ride and the one which draws the most families.
Contact ride leader David (parent of two youngsters under 10 who've
completed multiple Bike-A-Thons) at
*dweinstein at boston.k12.ma.us*<dweinstein at boston.k12.ma.us>for more
information.

** HOW DO I PRE-REGISTER?*
1) If you have a credit card, you can register via internet with a few
clicks at *www.bikesnotbombs.org/bat08* <http://www.bikesnotbombs.org/bat08>
2) With credit card you can call us at 617-522-0222
3) Come by the BNB HUB: directions at
*www.bikesnotbombs.org/directions*<http://www.bikesnotbombs.org/directions>
4) Come by the BNB Bike Shop:
*www.bikesnotbombs.org/bikeshop-contact*<http://www.bikesnotbombs.org/bikeshop-contact>
5) Come to the Rider Party, Friday May 9th 6-8:30 pm, at the BNB Hub at 284
Amory
* There is a small fee of $20, but it goes towards your fundraising minimum,
which is a modest $150 for adults and $100 for those under 18 (for whom the
registration fee is $10).

** RIDE AS A TEAM*
We encourage you to start a team with friends!  You can organize your team
through our online registration page at www.bikesnotbombs.org/bat08 or let
Adam know your team name and team members at adam at bikesnotbombs.org or
617-522-0222.

** BUT I CAN'T MAKE IT TO THE BIKE-A-THON!*
Ok.  Feel free to fundraise anyhow!!! There are several people doing it
already who can't actually ride on June 8. It helps BNB a lot.
OR sponsor a youth rider from our programs!  Give us a call, mail us a
check, or view rider web pages at
*www.firstgiving.com*<http://www.firstgiving.com/>(many youth have not
made pages yet.)

*AND*
*We can use volunteers* to help get flyers out to many different areas.  Let
us know what parts of town you go to and where you can flyer and drop
brochures to bring in more riders!
*adam at bikesnotbombs.org*<adam at bikesnotbombs.org>or 617-522-0222