[*BCM*] dbl parked

John Hays jjhays2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 19:24:27 EST 2008

Hiroyuki:

"Two wrongs don't make a right" is a moral maxim that actually means
something on its own terms. To covertly attempt to redefine the common
meaning of the maxim by making it NOT about "wrongness" in the
conventional sense would be rather, well, strange. I think it's
infinitely more plausible that the phrase was meant in its conventional
sense, but that the further assumption was made that the legality or
illegality of an action constitutes a legitimate moral statement about
an action -- which was what the substance of my post was addressed to.
Curiously enough, your assertion below that:

If anything, all 4 should be punished
to the severity that the crime warrants, with no externalities
introduced from neighboring crimes.

actually seems to implicitly assume that legality constitutes a legitimate statement about the morality of an action, since a "crime" should NOT BE PUNISHED AT ALL unless it is, in fact, legitimately wrong, and not just illegal.  If it's not wrong to run a red light on a bicycle under the conditions stated, then it's wrong to punish such an action, even if it's illegal.

Now, I completely agree that you're not likely to get very far arguing this with a police officer -- after all, they're foot soldiers for a giant criminal organization. But it behooves us as moral agents to recognize whether an action is actually wrong, regardless of its legal status -- and as a necessary consequence of this, when it's wrong for the Big Bad Boys in Blue to enforce a prohibition against that action. At the very least, people should be aware of the absurdity of trying to justify punishment on the basis of "zee rules are zee rules."

- John