[*BCM*] dbl parked

Rob Arnold rsarnold at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 18:44:37 EST 2008

I think you're all misinterpreting my main point, which is that enforcement
needs to be equal and consistent across an entire range of traffic: from
motor vehicles on down to pedestrians. Once, I had to dodge into traffic
because of a lady who stood on a corner in Central Square, with her stroller
sitting completely in the bike lane. In the bike lane!!! Her baby! In the
bike lane!! That woman needs to be cited far more than the original poster
does. And, sadly, it's not atypical behavior in
Cambridge/Boston/Somerville/etc. It's a cascading set of factors that
creates chaos, and my riding style reflects that kind of chaos. I ride down
the center stripe on Mass Ave through Central Square because I'm further
away from double-parked cars, and further away from jaywalkers, and further
away from hazardous debris that gets pushed over to the road edges, and
outside the path of cars turning right without looking. If the lanes
designated for me, as a cyclist, are not sufficiently safe due to a general
failure on the part of Cambridge Police to enforce other traffic laws, you
bet I'm going to say something when I have the immediate ear of a traffic
officer.