[*BCM*] Just got "pulled over" for running a red on Mass. Ave.

Hiroyuki Yamada hyamada at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 6 12:41:39 EST 2008

Including, I might add, sarcastic comments about the discussion, which
in and of themselves, contribute little to the debate?

I've never been pulled over for rolling through a red light in MA, but
in NJ an officer flagged me down after going through a red light before,
not to ticket me, but to say I could have been hit -- I pointed out that
it was a red/green intersection, but a red/red/with walk signal, and
that with no pedestrians, I was safe and so was everyone else. He let me
go but said to be careful (the cops in my town are notoriously paternal
in their enforcement of the law and always try to justify ticketing with
the "it's for your own sake" line), so I guess it depends on the
specific officer.

Someone mentioned hopping off the bike and walking -- the other
alternative, at least at the 77 Mass ave "intersection" (really just the
crosswalk there) is to roll up onto the sidewalk as you go through the
intersection and then back down off the curb as you pass through it --
I've had to do that on numerous occasions to avoid the buses (MBTA, LMA,
Welleseley Peter Pan, MIT shuttle, there are often more than one right
there) that clog up that intersection and (justifiably) are pulled into
the right lane.

Sort of off topic, but another beef with that intersection is the fact
that when they added the two bike lanes, they nixed one of the lanes of
traffic, leading to a *three* lane road, both sides (i.e. northbound has
2 lanes, southbound 1). Has anyone else run into problems where both
leading up to the corsswalk (basically starting at around vassar) all
the way through to that next light (amherst alley) that motorists ignore
the fact that there's 1 less lane? Thereby occupying the bike lane and
forcing cyclists closer into the dooring zone/basically off the road?
(I've needled in between the lines of cars or even had to swing out onto
the left hand side (basically on the oncoming lane side) to avoid the
clogging)

--Yuki