[*BCM*] Courteous Mass proposal

Brendan Larrabee yoyoboy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 00:43:19 EDT 2008

I am a semi regular participant of Critical Mass, you may remember me from
riding the black tall bike with, and without the truck horn, and the high
wheeler on Halloween.
I am de- lurking myself to this list.
I love riding in the mass, and I think many of you have raised some good
points about how it effects peoples views of bikers. Now, I am all for the
slightly anarchistic methods of the Mass, but I would like to try a slightly
different approach that might appeal to a wider rider base(Read Mass Bike).
We could call it Courteous Mass.

What? A ride much like Critical Mass, with the difference being that it
would stop for lights( and if a light changes mid mass, stop, mass up, and
wait for the rest of the group), pedestrians, and when possible leave one
lane open for passing traffic. It is still a leaderless group of bicyclists,
but they would just be agreeing to some basic guidelines. But Ah ha! you
might say, who will organize it and make sure everyone follows the "rules"?
Well, how about that by your participation you are deciding that this is how
you want it to go. Kind of like the fact that you don't #2 in the middle of
the street, because you wouldn't want anybody else to do that either.

Who? Anybody that uses wheels and their own power to get around.

Where? Copley Square

When?The second Friday of the month, 5:30-6 ish. The first ride will be
August 8th. Tell you friends.

Why? Because everyone with wheels should feel good about celebrating their
awesomeness, and sharing them with other people.

See you there!!!

Brendan Larrabee