[*BCM*] Dooring etiquette

Aaron D. Ball aarondball at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 22:30:52 EDT 2008

So I got doored on my way home tonight.  No injuries, headlight was in
pieces but went back together OK.  I dodged and braked and dropped the
bike and yelled "fuck" while I was in the air.

The guy was quite apologetic.  I was weirdly nice to him, completely
not angry, just told him I was OK, asked him to watch out next time
and wished him a good night.

I came away with the feeling that I should have been more pissed off,
or at least should have acted more serious so he'd be more likely to
remember the incident and mend his wicked ways.

What do people do in the event of accidents that are bad enough that
you go down, but that aren't bad enough for cops and ambulances?  In
retrospect it seems at least exchanging contact info would have been
wise, in case a problem turned up later.

I hesitate to flood the list again so soon after the Seattle drama, so
if this is another hot-button issue, feel free to write to me and I'll
summarize.

--Aaron.