[*BCM*] Longfellow / Cambridge Bike Police

James David Morgan dave at groundswellcollective.com
Wed Jul 30 14:42:24 EDT 2008

Agreed about the hypocrisy of these bicycle traps.  Just this morning, at
that very location, I was right behind a rider who was fined for running
the light ahead of me.  With the reputation that Boston motorists have, I
can't help but feel they have much bigger fish to fry.

However, I have to say that last Friday (in the afternoon, following the
police-supported Bike Friday event that I attended) I was told by a cop to
go if I saw a chance through the busy intersection.  It was "the least
they could do" because I was "sparing us all the gas."  He was a really
nice guy, and if I'd had the time, I'd have grabbed his badge number and
commended him (leaving out the law breaking part of course) to his
department.
--
James David Morgan
Co-Founder and Designer

Jon Ramos wrote:
Speaking of the area near the Longfellow Bridge....
There have been an increasing number of bike police traps in
Cambridgelately.  I have noticed that they are spread out along my route
at different locations, but they seem to always be at least one cop the
intersection of Broadway & Main Street in Cambridge (just before the
Longfellow).  I have watched other cyclist get stopped and ticketed a few
times, usually when crossing with the pedestrian walk signal when all
lights are red.

Here is a map of the spot:
(http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Broadway+%4042.362770,+-71.084582&daddr=42.361977,-71.082423&hl=en&geocode=12899578198328372370,42.362770,-71.084582%3B6747366231024457007,42.362270,-71.083680&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=17&sll=42.362008,-71.082627&sspn=0.003623,0.006748&ie=UTF8&ll=42.363047,-71.08283&spn=0.014491,0.043302&z=15)
(In my opinion) I think it is good for the police to stop cyclists for
blasting through a red light, but I personally think it is safer to cross
that particular intersection with the pedestrian signal vs. waiting for
the green and battling for a safe spot with the cars.

I also think it is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS that the bike police at that
intersection do NOTHING about all of the shuttles, taxis, large trucks,
and cars that are parked in the bike lane less than 50 yards east from
where the cops are handing out tickets to cyclists.