[*BCM*] Response to Vehicular Assault? (was: Open letter ...)

Anne Wolfe goannego at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 13:48:39 EDT 2008

Stop, prevent injury if possible, treat injuries if needed.  Call the
police, ambulances if necessary and take notes on time, location, license
plate numbers, witness details.  Video or photograph anything you can (in
these days where everyone's cell phone is a camera this is now remarkably
easy).

Just don't retaliate.  Or provoke.  The second either is done, you're on to
a losing battle.

2008/7/30 Jym Dyer <jym at econet.org>

> > And how should one behave when say... an aggressive
> > motorcycle is trying to bob and weave their way through
> > the mass on charles street near the gardens?
>
> =v= I've been wondering about this for a while.  What's the best
> way to stop a motorist in the process of committing vehicular
> assault?  The car is running, it may have already hit someone,
> it may be about to hit someone, what do you do?  The goal is
> to stop the assault and, ideally, not be arrested for doing so
> (or, if arrested, not convicted).
>
> =v= I've followed a few of these incidents over the years (not
> all of them involving Critical Mass), and Seattle's follows an
> all too typical pattern:  those who damaged a precious, precious
> car are thrown in jail, but the vehicular assaulter isn't even
> charged with anything.  Some judges and juries follow the lead
> of the cops here, and despite evidence of self-defense (or the
> defense of others), are more upset about damage to cars than
> bodily harm to bicyclists.
>
> =v= Actually harming the driver is worse, of course.  Trying to
> wrestle the keys away would seem to be the most direct approach,
> but is arguably assault and battery.  (Getting anywhere near the
> driver at all is something like a mortal sin.)
>
> =v= So, what's the right thing to do?  Have Eddie Murphy shove
> potatoes up the exhaust pipe?
>    <_Jym_>

Anne M. Wolfe, LL.M.
Mobile: ( 07805) 456901
"If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and
cover head. Please do not taunt Happy Fun Ball."