[*BCM*] Open letter to the Cycling Community

John Kerr johnkerr87 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 13:09:54 EDT 2008

Hello all, I'm a first time poster to the BCM list.

Anyway, I have been in L.A. this summer and went on their CM.  The odd thing
here is that they do stop at reds, only corking if the mass is already
within the intersection, and, most of the time, occupy only the right lane.
Of course, as the night wears on (these rides last from 6:30 to 10 or even
11), the ride becomes less organized, but during the beginning at least,
people seem to accept that they need to follow the law as best they can.
The downside? To get this level of lawfulness, a few people with a megaphone
sort of become de facto leaders of a leaderless ride, which is obnoxious.
The plus side? No cops.

Why does this happen?  I think it has a lot to do with the huge cycling
community here, with lots of self-organized group rides.  If Boston has more
group rides, building more of a stronger community among the non-messenger
crowd, we could educate more cyclists about riding en mass.  In a way, these
rides lessen CMs importance here in LA, but the cycling community is alive a
well, so it may not be a bad thing.

Does this make sense to anybody else?