[*BCM*] Fwd: [massbike] Open letter to the Cycling Community

. nevele symboliceon at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 28 23:43:36 EDT 2008

regarding all of the negative things being said regarding CM (trust me, i have plenty of my own negative feedback) i'd just like everyone to see what happened at the end of the last ride, unfortunately i think you need a facebook membership to see it: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=115207&id=1022199047

organized rides don't end like this; they don't randomly end up at the fountain in the christian science church park with some folks riding around it, and some riding inside the plooms (plumes? damnit.) of water. ofcourse the 30 or so of us who were left were promptly kicked the hell out by "security" but you just can't write that shit.

unorganized, chaotic rides like CM aren't necessarily supposed to be about political gain, sometimes it's just about personal experiences.

i remember my first ride.. it was like magic. i was riding this BMX that i was scared as shit to ride around the city (had my first dooring experience on that lil guy) and the mass made me feel empowered. then i ditched that bike and got a big ol' trek mtb and rode the mass a bunch of times, feeling more and more empowered each time. eventually the rear axle on that beast snapped and cracked the frame so i ended up with my fixie Moto a couple years ago.

point being that the origin of the confidence i have while slicing through traffic like a ripping hot chefs knife through warm butter is critical mass and i teach others what i have learned. without the fun, sorta rebelious nature of CM, i feel as tho a lot of folks just wouldn't ride.

jb> From: jym at econet.org> To: list at bostoncriticalmass.org> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:13:54 -0700> Subject: Re: [*BCM*] Fwd: [massbike] Open letter to the Cycling Community> > =v= Oh joy, another "Critical Mass Needs To End" opinion, on a> Seattle blog:> > http://seattlest.com/2008/07/28/seattle_critical_mass_needs_to_end.php> > Naturally, it proceeds from false premises.> > =v= Critical Mass is turning 16 in a few months. Old enough> to drive, but smart enough not to.> <_Jym_>> > _______________________________________________> Boston Critical Mass mailing list> list at bostoncriticalmass.org> http://bostoncriticalmass.org/list> To unsubscribe email list-unsubscribe at bostoncriticalmass.org