[*BCM*] Seattle CM turns ugly

TSmith4918 at aol.com TSmith4918 at aol.com
Mon Jul 28 11:35:44 EDT 2008

thoughtful response Anne, but I wasn't suggesting that CM is a vehicle  for
enlightenment; rather, it was some comment on the stereotype of the  laid-back
northwesterner who I thought would be somewhat more receptive to  bike-culture
even if it presents itself in a confrontation.  I think you're  right that
the comments would be the same anywhere:  I guess I  had romantic hopes for
Seattle.  Must be too much coffee/caffeine injected  into the citizenry over the
past few decades.

As for thuggery:   the posted notes on the Seattle blog (and  elsewhere on
the web) reveal a more pointed and violent animosity towards  the two-wheelers
than a bunch of folks winging around the city once a  month.  Though the
threats ("I'm gunning for you" etc) may be only  fetid air from a frustrated
windbag, as a biker they make my ears perk  up. Cars and car culture can bring out
the worst in people and I can speak  for myself on this;  (not sure I can say
the same about bikes).

Tim
In a message dated 7/28/2008 9:04:39 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,