[*BCM*] BOSTON-GLOBE\L: A cycle of disrespect prevails

Adam Shoop info at adamshoop.org
Mon Jan 14 13:27:06 EST 2008

On sidewalk riding: Which is most of downtown Boston, I think.  I didn't see
anything with a quick check on the city's website, but Cambridge has the
following information:

2. Am I allowed to bicycle on the sidewalk?

State law permits bicyclists to travel on sidewalks in the interest of
safety except as directed by local ordinance. In general, it is more
appropriate and prudent to bicycle in the street, and Cambridge is making
every effort to making the city streets safe and comfortable for bicycling.
However, it is recognized that there are times when sidewalk riding will be
used, for example, with young children. Cambridge traffic regulations
require that bicyclists on sidewalks travel at a walking speed and yield to
pedestrians.

Sidewalk riding is not permitted in the business districts of Harvard
Square, Central Square, Porter Square, Inman Square, Huron Ave., and
sections of Mass. Ave. north of Harvard Square.

http://www.ci.cambridge.ma.us/CDD/et/bike/bike_faq.html

  _____