[*BCM*] change, from Seattle to the Longfellow Bridge

T B pfadfa at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 3 20:07:59 EDT 2008

I've been seeing the posts on here recently, and looking forward to being able to go back and read them and compose a full response, but I just don't have the time.  So, my response to what I have skimmed through:

As far as Tom Fine's 987-word manifesto ("Critical Time for Critical Mass[:] An Open letter to the Cycling Community"): I'm not on the MassBike list, so I don't know if Mr. Fine put as much effort and heart into responding to the deaths of Kelly Wallace or Gordon Riker or any of the other 700 or cyclists who die each year in the US, pointing his finger at the horrid state of the transportation systems in this country.  I would doubt it, though.  Why would he bother, when CM participants are so much easier to castigate?  Just as it's always easier for the person who lost his job because of a factory relocation to blame undocumented immigrants than to blame the corporate owners or even neoliberal economic policies.  As a CM participant, I'm the low-hanging fruit, if you will.  But, then, so is he.  Neither of us have a direct role in making policy.  So, whatever energy we expend griping at each other we don't get to use for actually effecting transportation policy.

Talking about strategy can be a good thing.  A very good thing.  But, from my experience, generally not on the Internet or through e-mail.  The Internet is good for pontificating - about what human nature REALLY is all about, about what Critical Mass REALLY is all about, about how THOSE OTHER PEOPLE really suck, etc - but not so good for dialogue.  So i think the suggestion of meeting up in person to discuss CM, biking, or whatever else is a great one.  How about the last Friday of the month at 5:30pm in Copley Sq.?

(This invite applies most especially to anyone on this list who does not do Critical Mass.  You don't have to stick around for the ride - which generally doesn't start until later - but that would be a good place to start the conversation.  You can pick me out by my ride: a silverish/chromish single-speed Bianchi with drop bars and disc brakes.  Or talk to someone else who's standing around with a bike.)