[*BCM*] Friday's Boston Critical Mass Ride

Rebecca Albrecht ralbrecht at speakeasy.net
Sat Sep 29 22:09:58 EDT 2007

Reflections from a 57 year old woman after my first CriticalMass ride.

  I have been riding on Boston streets since 1973.I do all of my errands
on my bike within a 3 mile radius. Within a 10 mile radius I would
probably take my car if it is available.Otherwise I take my bike. I
avoid going by bus or T. They take long circuitous routes and trip time
is longer than by bike. I rode all the way through both my pregnancies
and it never seemed a problem; I guess because I automatically adjusted
to the gradual weight gain and body dimension. Some people thought I was
crazy though I doubt that they would in The Netherlands. My first child
when she could sit up unassisted sat in a bicycle seat between me and
the handlebars. I bought the seat in Amsterdam. It felt safer than
having her behind me. If she fell asleep I could support her head and I
could talk with her. I see children asleep in rear seats and they look
like they are going to fall out! After my second child was born we
bought a bike cart that could hold four children. We would take it down
to "First Night" with blankets, "Fourth of July" and just general around
town errands. That cart is now 18 years old and occasionally put in to
service to go to the Farmer's Market or to the grocery store.

I feel that I don't have to take back the streets for bicycles because I
have never been away from them. When I ride I am continuously checking
behind me. I ride an open car door's width away from parked cars when
ever possible. I assert my right to use the right hand lane when
necessary. I  make eye contact with drivers when our paths could collide
and assess the safety of making my move. I do not like the bike lanes
that I see in Boston and in Brookline where I live. Riding in the center
of the bike lane means that you are too close to parked cars. Since I am
also a car driver I pull into that lane to parallel park or to drop
someone off. The problem is not with drivers in the "bike lane" but with
the placement of the bike lane. Give us the right- hand lane out far
enough from the door-zone with room to pass other cyclists or in my case
to be passed. I also think that by having the kind of bike lanes that we
do indicates to car drivers that bikes should know their place, stay in
their lane and not impede their progress. A bike lane should be safe
enough that a grade school kid could ride in it. What we have now is a
sop thrown to us bicyclists to show that they are doing something. It's
really nothing at so little expense as to be laughable. And yet the
powers-that-be are applauded for these so-called bike lanes. I would
love to see real bike lanes that are safe along country highways. I
think riding on those roads are deadly. Especially when cars are driving
fast and only occasionally see cyclists who must ride on the debris-
strewn shoulder. At least in the city cars drive slower and are
accustomed to seeing bicyclists. Many cyclists feel safer on those
country highways. Go figure! An aside about rails to trails. I think
it's a shame that we removed our railroad tracks thus killing a good
alternative to auto travel. Like I said I would rather see excellent
paved bike paths separated a safe distance from the roads that would
truly allow us cyclists to travel city to city all across the
country.Most people drive to a rails to trails path for recreation. I
would like bicycling seen as more than just recreation but seen as a
form of serious transportation on an equal footing with autos. This
would be a revolution!

So about last night's ride. Before I rode with you guys I had heard that
it was a car mocking Demonstration that flaunted the road rules and gave
bicyclists a bad name. I realized during the ride that it was really a
celebration/parade on self-propelled wheels. The harmonica,drum player
added to the festivities. And then a by-stander on Newbery Street joined
in on the fun and played his saxophone while we rolled on by. We were
really a large mobile party more than a demonstration/protest. The
bystanders that I saw got a real kick out of seeing us especially in the
North End. Most of the car drivers seemed okay with us. There were just
a few that seemed put out. We couldn't have held any one up more than
ten minutes and probably less than that.Drivers can't be surprised that
occasionally there are traffic tie-ups. At first I thought that we
shouldn't ride through red lights. Whereas I think that the lead people
should stop for a red light; once we go through an intersection for our
own safety it is critical that we stay massed together and not be
separated. What a good idea that there are riders who take on the
responsibility of blocking individual cars  preventing them from
dividing up our group. Concerning emergency vehicles getting through; I
think that when you get a large group moving together many people become
oblivious to what is happening around them. They just need to be told by
the more aware cyclists among us to stop riding and move over to the
side to let the vehicle pass by.  Once in Coolidge Corner we stopped to
let a wheelchair bound person cross the street and not be stranded in
the middle of the street.All it took was one person to notice and to say
something and then another person noticed and then cyclists stopped. A
bunch went through at first because they hadn't picked up on what was
happening but it was understandable and not a problem. The group behind
them stopped and the person crossed.I don't think we need a rule saying
that we need to stop for emergency vehicles. It's just common sense to
stop. So those more aware among us just need to herd the rest of us off
to the side.

So I had a lot of fun Friday night and hope to ride again in October!