[*BCM*] Cyclist foils heist, Boston Phoenix 9/28

Lee Peters leepeters at gis.net
Fri Sep 28 11:27:50 EDT 2007

Well, I don't know if you are talking to the guy who nearly lost his bike... but..... (and I would like to keep this friendly.)

    I have felt bad for the guy over the past week.  I figure if you are stealing bikes, that things are not going well.  The perp is having a far worse week than me.  I really wish that he was doing better in his life and that the consequences of theft would not be worth it for him.  I would hope that the system treat him in such a way that he wouldn't repeat the crime ever again.

    I can try and answer your e-mail too with compassion.  The incredible part of the story is not what happens to the perp, it is the contribution made by an innocent bystander who refused to stand by.  He took action in his empathy for a fellow biker.  His fellow biker may have it better overall than the perp, but the biker wasn't breaking any laws.  Please don't set up a standard in which we give up our bikes for the needy when we NEED those bikes ourselves - or standards of lawlessness.

    I was asking myself, 'why does someone need a bike, when there are ways of finding food and housing with the help of our social structure.'  I was thinking of my own materialism vs. his.  I can't say I fully understand his situation (can you? have you asked him?).

    If you were to ask what my situation is beyond the story of last week......  When I say my bike is sacred - I mean the following:
        The bike belonged to my father, who died two years ago.
        It is a 35 year old frankenbike that my brother and I worked on.
        It is my primary means of transportation because of convenience, joy, cost, and that whole global warming thing.

    Some were asking, "why would you use such a means of protection for a 'sacred' bike - ie. cable locks aren't enough."  I have been reflecting on that one too.  Locks are expensive.  I know that I have a lot of choices and ways of making money - I just don't choose to make lots of money.  I am living simply on very little - so losing a lock or a bike has a big effect.  It may force me to re-think my career path.  (again, at least I have a career path)

    So last week, I nearly had to scrape up 400-600 bucks to replace my ride.  We don't know his story, but the perp posted $5000 to stay out of jail for a few weeks.  How did he do that?

    Despite the flame wars on this list, I am really happy to know the bikers are watching out for each other.  Andrew did some incredible stuff last week.  Please admire his action and see the goodness of that.

Lee