[*BCM*] Scooters in the bike lanes

Lee Peters leepeters at gis.net
Fri Sep 28 08:36:06 EDT 2007

Oh, and you thought the scooter thread was dead.

Anecdote:
    I was riding in between the travel lane and the lane for parked cars on
Boylston near Copley.  A scooter driver pulled into the space in which most
bikers travel.  He moved into the bike "lane" without looking and sideswiped
me with his motorbike & body (no pain, no damage).  We stopped and I gave
him the 'what for'.  I simply said "Drivers of motorcycles are not allowed
to split lanes by moving into the zone between lanes of cars".  He was lane
splitting, which is illegal in Massachusetts.  He apologized.  I didn't even
get a chance to say "you also didn't look first before changing lanes".

Law citation:
http://www.mass.gov/rmv/mcmanual/60_LaneUseAndRestrictionsAndSpecialRulesForMotorcycles.pdf

I guess the nuance for scooters is the rule on engine displacement which
frees them from ordinary motorcyle law.  However, a scooter is still a
motor-driven cycle.  The hard & fast rule is to look before changing lanes -
but that lane is too often assumed to be empty of bicycles.