[*BCM*] Scooters in the bike lanes

thom3 thom3 at aol.com
Sat Sep 22 18:30:14 EDT 2007

You need to look harder re camb.

------Original Message------
From: Robotica <androidqueen at gmail.com>
To: "Boston Critical Mass" <list at bostoncriticalmass.org>
Date: Sat, Sep 22, 2007 11:38 AM
Subject: Re: [*BCM*] Scooters in the bike lanes

25 MPH is much faster than a cyclist?

It sounds to me like you're railing against irresponsible use of the
bike lane, not scooter use of a bike lane.  I'd be concerned about a
cyclist weaving in and out of traffic just as much.  I'd even say that
I've nearly been hit by irresponsible cyclists much more often than
I've nearly been hit by irresponsible scooter operators.

Also, the only laws I can find that say scooters aren't allowed on
bike paths in Cambridge specifically state off-street bike paths, not
bike lanes. It looks like they are otherwise treated like bicycles.

-m

On 9/22/07, ThoM3 at aol.com <ThoM3 at aol.com> wrote:

> Scooters and Moped can go 25 MPH, much faster than cyclist, they use the
> bike land for passing cars on the right and the road for cyclist on the left
> and weave. A scooter or moped has a bigger imprint, and is less agile when
> in comes to passing in tight quarters and thus creates a less safe
> environment for bikers.
>
> You're point about cars is funny and spot on. It is however illegal for a
> car to be in the bike lane and according to Cambridge law, it's illegal for
> mopeds and scooters as well.
>
> In a message dated 9/22/2007 3:41:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> symboliceon at hotmail.com writes:
> who the hell cares about scooters? i pass them like anyone else on a bike,
> so obviously i just see them as other cyclists.. tho slower and lazier. the
> bike lane serves three purposes for drivers: 1 - a place to drive slowly in
> order to find a parking spot. 2 - a reeeeally large area in which they can
> throw their driver's side door open without having to worry about other cars
> taking it out. 3 - they can double park in the bike lane without having to
> worry about getting a ticket as the BTD has a very limited understanding of
> things.
>
> i guess my point is that roads with bike lanes aren't actually all that much
> safer for cyclists. the room on the road is nice and all, but i think the
> best way to take control of the situation regarding cyclists vs. everyone
> else would be to press for legislation that would include cyclist awareness
> in the tests folks have to take in order to gain a license for their motor
> vehicles.

ninjaneer.  geomancer.  licensed scientician.