[*BCM*] back bay thefts (Lee Peters)

bob phillips jrobtp at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 20 08:29:18 EDT 2007

andrew!!!
  my man! you a hero duder!!! this is a great story!!!! i hope they put his ass in stir for awhile. stealin' bikes is so wrong. cars? not so much. . .

  well done!!!!!!!

Andrew J Heining <andrewjh at gmail.com> wrote:
  This is SO COOL!!!
Lee,
I was across the street by the Christian Science Church when you came
out of Economy and saw them. I'm happy to report that I was on my bike
when the one guy ran across the street, and I chased after him,
following him for several blocks, yelling out for people to call the
police. One guy eventually did, and he joined the chase.
I followed the thief through some alleys until he got tired of me
yelling "Call the police! This guy's stealing bikes!" and (to the guy)
"you're going down, suckah!" We were outside of the Summer Shack when
he stopped and walked toward me, telling me to "mind my business." I
told him it WAS my business, as he was stealing bikes and I'd had one
stolen from the same area last year.
Anyway, he came at me, swung his bag with the bolt cutters in it at
me, and we got into a scuffle. At one point we had him pinned down
(the guy who'd called the police joined me in trying to hold him), but
he escaped, and my bike's chain had come off in the fracas, so I
didn't follow the thief as he ran up the street and around the corner.
But just then a police car showed up. The cop told me to hop in, so I
jumped in to ride shotgun! The other guy (the good samaritan) told me
he'd hold my bike.
We drove around the area, with me looking for the thief and the cop
radioing in his description – sirens and lights and everything! We
even drove through the Christian Science Plaza looking for him! When
we got to the church's fountain, a call came in over the radio that
they'd spotted the suspect and were in pursuit, and the cop told me to
get out and wait there at the fountain. I did, and sure enough, he
came back 10 minutes later.
He took me to the scene of my "fight" with the thief, and I picked up
my bike from the good samaritan. I followed the cop to where they had
the suspect in custody, and both of us were able to ID him as the bad
guy. The cops took our statements, and it looks like the guy's gonna
be charged with assault with a deadly weapon (the bag with the bolt
cutters in it), attempted larceny, and being in possession of burglary
tools. How cool is that!?
I'm so glad your bike is safe and sound, and that we've gotten one of
Boston's bad guys off the street.
Lee, I'm sure the police would be interested to know that he took a
swing at you with the bolt cutters, so email me and we'll find a way
to get that in the police report.
Score one for the good guys!!
-Andrew