[*BCM*] Mayor's Press Announcement tomorrow!

jasmine laietmark jasmine at bikesnotbombs.org
Wed Sep 19 14:42:33 EDT 2007

The Mayor will do a Press Announcement to introduce bicycle planning
initiatives!

It is confirmed for 2:00 PM on the Fan Pier between the ICA and the Federal
Courthouse, tomorrow (Thurs,) 9/20.

Below is a brief summary of what is going to happen at the announcement.
Speakers will include the Mayor, Jin Hunt, DCR, Patty Foley of SHSB, and
Nicole Freedman (Hub on Whls.)

   1. The Mayor is going to announce.
      1. That he is committed to starting a cycling program for Boston
      2. He is hiring a bicycle program director. My understanding is
      that the Mayor has yet to inform his program director about the
hiring and
      wants to do so personally.
      3. We are going to kick off the programs with a Summit the
3rdweek in October, to include key agencies, advocates, etc.
   2. The Mayor will reference projects that have started and/or projects
   the City wants to research including:
      1. Discussions with Wall regarding a bike share program similar
      to Paris' velib program
      2. Installation of 250 racks by next Fall.
      3. Baseline research projects including

                                                               i.      Google
maps project tracking where cyclists ride

                                                             ii.      Counts
of bicyclists/pedestrians at 29 locations throughout Boston

                                                            iii.      Mapping
projects asking key advocates and leaders what roads are good for riding.

    1. Pilot cycling programs in the schools and at Harbor Camp.
      2. Other that I do not know as of yet.