[*BCM*] Walk Don't Run

Jym Dyer jym at econet.org
Wed Sep 19 12:57:44 EDT 2007

| "bicycles may be ridden on sidewalks outside business
| districts when necessary in the interest of safety, unless
| otherwise directed by local ordinance. A person operating
| a bicycle on the sidewalk shall yield the right of way to
| pedestrians and give an audible signal before overtaking
| and passing any pedestrian."

=v= Massachusetts is regarded as not really following the
Uniform Traffic Code, but this bit pretty much echoes it, and
is how the law works in most states.  It's a problem if you
don't know the local ordinances.  Supposedly there should be
a sign, but often there isn't.

=v= I can't seem to find the specifics in Mass. law, but there's
also the matter of the legal definition of "riding" the bike.
Usually these means that your torso is over the top tube.  If
you stand on the pedal on one side of the bicycle while it rolls
through the crosswalk, you may not be "riding" it. :-|

=v= Of course, advocates of vehicular cycling will tell you
to *never* ride on the sidewalk or in crosswalks, since that's
un-ve-hick-ular and unsafe.
    <_Jym_>