[*BCM*] Bike-A-Thon Sunday with BNB

Jasmine Laietmark jasminebikesnotbombs at yahoo.com
Wed May 30 15:35:18 EDT 2007

Bikes Not Bombs' biggest event of the year (our 20th annual!) is coming
up this Sunday. It's not too late to ride and fundraise! See www.bikesnotbombs.org for info and http://www.active.com/donate/bat07
to set up an online fundraising page, or download a brochure from our
website. If you can't ride, come see us off to the tunes of a brass
band! OR check out the latter link to sponsor a youth rider via internet giving!
Thanks, Jasmine 617-522-0222
(press release below)

-----

20th Annual Bike-A-Thon * Sunday June 3, 2007

Contact: Jasmine Laietmark - jasmine at bikesnotbombs.org

Ride
with Bikes Not Bombs (BNB) to support youth bicycle programs in Boston
and shipments of donated bikes to Africa, Central America, and the
Caribbean! Choose from 15, 25, or 62-mile rides.  We provide mechanics
check-ups, rest stops with food and drink, maps of the beautiful
routes, lead riders, following vehicles, and a gourmet meal and
celebration afterwards. There is no charge for riders, but you must
raise pledges for BNB.  Ride at your own pace; the 15 mile ride is
especially great for families with children! A brass band will see the
riders off! If you aren't riding, come by to cheer, sponsor a young
participant, and have a good time (registration is from 9:15-11 a.m.)

As this is the first year BNB is in its new home and shop
spaces, our starting point is at the park at Stony Brook T Station
across Amory St. from our new center in Jamaica Plain. We are pleased
to announce that Mississippi's Restaurant will again be the site for
the after-ride fiesta, dinner and awards ceremony. We expect about 300
riders, and our goal is to raise $45,000. Check our website to start
your own fundraising page or call 617-522-0222 for a pledge sheet.

Bikes Not Bombs promotes bicycle technology as a concrete
alternative to war and environmental destruction. We believe that the
unsustainable use of resources by the powerful few requires aggressive
militarism to maintain the underlying inequality which makes this
overconsumption possible. Both "developed' and "developing" nations
must move to sustainable technologies if we are to have lasting peace
and social justice. Bikes Not Bombs rescues nearly 5,000 used bicycles
each year from the solid waste stream, putting them into reuse in
Boston, Africa, Central America, and the Caribbean.

In 2007, after 23 years of operation, Bikes Not Bombs (BNB)
has just moved into 2 new homes in Jamaica Plain! Earn-A-Bike programs
are turning inner-city teens into new safe cyclists, riding bikes
they've rebuilt themselves. More teens join Girls In Action, Youth
Drop-In, and Vocational Training in mechanics. Our full-service Bike
Shop (at 18 Bartlett Sq, across from the Green St T stop) employs teen
mechanics, and sells reconditioned bikes. We will ship 3,400 donated
bikes to partners in South Africa, Ghana, and El Salvador this year.
Guatemalan pedal-powered agricultural machines will receive more
technical assistance. And we're completing the setup for Earn-A-Bike
youth programs on Nevis Island in the Caribbean.

To keep up with us/ learn about ways to get involved, join our monthly email list:
email mail at bikesnotbombs.org