[*BCM*] Moving bikes internationally

Tripp Hyde henrythehorrible at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 09:40:07 EDT 2007

I have only done this within the US flying coast to coast, so I'm not
sure if the same rules apply, but I'll share my experience anyway.  I
was flying from San Francisco to Boston and had to get my bike back.
I asked around at a couple of local bike shops and eventually someone
gave me a used bike box that companies ship bikes in from the factory.
 I had to take the wheels off and loosen the handlebar stem clamp to
slide the handlebars back, but you won't have to worry about any of
that if you have a collapsible.  Anyway, in the US I think they charge
an additional $50 for shipping a bike in a box.  I suppose you might
be able to get away with just calling it "luggage" if the collapsible
bike collapses into a small enough box and then you wouldn't have to
pay the fee.

On 6/20/07, Marci Anderson <marcievansanderson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm brand new to this mailing list and was hoping someone could help me out.
>  My husband and I are moving from Munich, Germany to Boston in August.
> (Munich is the most friendly bike city I've seen!  The entire city is lined
> with bike paths.  I am now getting nervous to move to Boston that isn't so
> accomodating to bikes!)  Does anyone know the best way to transport bikes
> when flying internationally?   We have two collapsable bikes.  We heard you
> can get bike boxes and check them as a piece of luggage.  Any tips would be
> appreciated!  We contacted the airline and they weren't too helpful...
>
> --
> Marci

-=t
http://dumbbox.dyndns.org:81