[*BCM*] BTD PED Rules

Jim Leonard jim_bcm at xuth.net
Mon Jun 4 19:32:35 EDT 2007

Turtle,
I understand what you're saying, but I must disagree with you on this.

First at it's simplest I can completely disrupt traffic by moving at
0.3 mph on a busy narrow road and while it's completely antisocial, it
is still within your rules.  More realistic is the person who is
unable to move faster than this but is still given the full right to
disrupt traffic.

More practically:

Pedestrian traffic is by default disorderly.  Without devices to shape
the traffic, I can't see this changing.  This is ok when it is done at
walking speed and no vehicles, where bumping into someone is
relatively harmless (when was the last time you got your ankle clipped
by a stroller or a shopping cart?  Walking speed just became harmful,
not deadly but not as safe as just people.  A larger vehicle can
easily be deadly to pedestrians even at this speed).  When it becomes
harmful to bump another entity you need significantly more order to
make it possible to avoid collisions entirely.

I don't believe that we as a society can ever go back to being ok with
only travelling at three miles per hour.  In my personal experience,
safety dictates that you don't want traffic in the same space with
speeds that differ by much more than a factor of two or three.  The
faster you're traveling and the more congested the less variance in
speed that is acceptable.  And this is what requires the segregation
of pedestrians from other forms of transportation.

On small uncongested sidestreets requiring the complete segregation of
traffic is overly harsh and I'm sure you're aware that it is not
enforced as such.  But with any level of traffic, even people running
is not compatible with walking pedestrians.

On a complete tangent, thinking about the utility of separating
vehicles by speed, I find myself lamenting that I'm in a place with no
bike paths.  Yes there are several multiuse paths, but no place where
bicyclists have the right of way.  When I lived in Columbus, it was
often worth my while to get onto one of the bike paths because it was
safe and useful.  I could travel at reasonable bicycle speeds and not
have to worry about pedestrians or worse, their pets.

--jim