[*BCM*] "Who's worse? Boston drivers or Boston pedestrians?

Maitland Lederer surreal at sammy.net
Mon Jun 4 11:24:43 EDT 2007

As a cyclist, I have far more problems with pedestrians than drivers.
Yeah, of course, I've had drivers cut me off or fail to see me or park
in the bike lane, but far more often, I've had to veer out of my way or
stop suddenly because a pedestrian has jumped into the street (not at a
crosswalk) suddenly and without looking.

And frequently, pedestrians would be far more avoidable if they simply
moved in a predictable way, but, more often than not, they walk out into
the street, freeze like a deer in headlights and then do the "I don't
know which way I should go" dance all over the street.

I completely disagree that we treat humans as "the lowest form of road
user."  Pedestrians can go lots of places that cars, and even bikes,
cannot go, so I'm not really sure how you can claim they don't have as
many rights as cars.  Yes, you cannot walk on the interstate.  Yes, you
cannot just jump out in front of a car anywhere and expect the driver to
pay your medical bills if they hit you.  But I hardly think these are
injustices.  We don't allow cars (and, in many places, bicycles) on the
sidewalk, and we don't allow pedestrians in many parts of the street
because it allows us to plan traffic.  You can maybe argue that we need
more sidewalks around, but I don't really see how not being permitted to
walk in a vehicle lane with impunity is a problem.