[*BCM*] Critical Mass Confrontations

Marc Larocque marc.p.larocque at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 11:46:25 EST 2007

Hows it going everyone!?

This is Marc, the conspicuous reporter, once more. I can't wait to join the
next ride, albeit an expected low-turnout because of the New England climate
and unpredictable weather. I hope to write a nice, fun, fair, and positive
article about Critical Mass. So far, I've talk to a lot of newbies and
veterans alike. I'm going to interview Adam, who created the CM route, who
was around during the origin of CM Boston, who knows people involved with
founding CM in those locales. I hope to talk to more. If you think you have
an idea that must be expressed in this piece, or just want to touch
base, please reply to me.
Some ideas have been ingrained in to my brain, like the fact that CM is
leaderless and, generally, an unorganized movement, an "organized
coincidence," as the Wiki entry describes it. The history and context is
important, like the founding in San Fran and the RNC in NYC. The values.
YouTube is a treasure trove for CM clips filled with conflict. But I want to
let you all know, that I'm not going to take "one of these 'kinds' of
events" and "have a field day" with it to smear CM. I love CM! It kicks ass.
That's why I pitched the story for my first feature. The way I found out
about it was when friends told me all the crazy, cool stuff CM does. For
example, and this is something I'm going to include in my piece, the fact
that participants hawked around a Hummer during the last ride. That's funny
and kicks ass. In my opinion, there is absolutely no need for Hummers in
Boston, that's just embarrassing and deserves lambasting. I think the
"corking" or "plugging" of intersections is exciting. So please don't
self-censor your behavior on the ride solely because of my presence.
Seriously, if there is anything else you want me to understand before doing
some prospective reporting and, then, writing, let me know.

Marc Larocque
Punk Journalist
Boston Globe
City Weekly