[*BCM*] bike lanes/paths

T B pfadfa at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 6 12:24:36 EDT 2007

I'd like to respond to the comments regarding bike paths being useless:

I live in Allston, and love the Charles River Bikepath (aside from its
disrepair this side of the BU Bridge).  I use it as a sort of bike highway
where I don't have to watch for lights or much cross-traffic.  It gives me
good, quick access to downtown/Back Bay/Mass Ave.

I agree that other paths, like the one running along Memorial Drive in
Cambridge, just reinforce the perception that bikes don't quite belong on
the road.  There seems to be no benefit to riding there (you still have all
the lights) except for not being in traffic.  And, for the roads to be safer
for cyclists, we need as many of them in traffic as we can get.

As for bike lanes: when they put cyclists in the path of car doors, they are
the worst kind of bike project.  They take tax dollars and put cyclists in
danger.

-Tom