[*BCM*] Livable Streets, COntested Streets, urban bicycling, tidbits to think about

Jeff Rosenblum rosenblum.jeff at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 18:44:34 EDT 2007

All- Here are some things to think about:

1. FILM: CONTESTED STREETS. Would folks be interested in coming to
another screening of this 1-hour film? Maybe Sunday evening April 8th?
Email me off-list and if I get enough responses, it's a go. Last night,
over 50 people attended. More info here:

http://www.livablestreets.info/node/1033
jeff at livablestreets.info

2. SPEED KILLS. A pedestrian hit by a car going 25 MPH has an 80% chance
of survival. But if the car were going 35 MPH, only 20% survival. See
this graph.

http://www.livablestreets.info/files/vehiclespeed_safety.JPG

3. SAFETY IN NUMBERS. Contrary to the belief that the only way to
increase the safety of bicyclists is to get them off the road, the facts
indicate that the more cycling, the more safe it is. See this graph.

http://www.livablestreets.info/files/safetyinnumbers.JPG

4. STREET TRAFFIC MAKES FOR FEWER FRIENDS. The more traffic on a street,
the fewer friends a person living on that street has. See some statistics.

http://www.livablestreets.info/files/moretraffic_fewerfriends.JPG

5. THE SUCCESSFUL MAN-- IN A CAR?

http://www.livablestreets.info/files/successfulman.JPG

6. AND A QUOTE.

The joy and pain of urban existence, the comfort or hardship of it, its
efficiency or failure are influenced by the wisdom or the
thoughtlessness with which streets are platted.

-- Charles Mulford Robinson, 1911

Best,
Jeff Rosenblum
LivableStreets Alliance-- Rethinking Transportation
- INSPIRING A VISION -
- BUILDING PARTNERSHIPS -
- EMPOWERING COMMUNITIES -
- CREATING CHANGE -