[*BCM*] What better bicycling in Massachusetts means to me...

turtle turtle at zworg.com
Thu Apr 5 16:23:36 EDT 2007

The Bicyclist Manifesto:

- I want to see safe and thriving streets in the Boston area (and
everywhere else, too!).
- I want to be able to drive a bike, car, scooter, walk on my own feet,
use a wheelchair, take the bus or train, or whatever other safe form of
transportation that I choose to use, and feel like other people know
that I am there and understand that I belong there.
- I want to have at least equal access use the public roads for
transportation as all other safe and responsible travelers.
- I want to know that everyone understand the basic laws of the road so
that they are very clear about how to keep everyone safe.
- I want those laws to be written or rewritten so that they are clear,
effective, and designed to meet everyone's needs for health and safety
as the top priority.
- I want to have a legal system that upholds the laws, serves the safety
of everyone, including me, and that continually works to reduce dangers
as much as possible in an effective and fair way.
- I want to have a legal system that strives to increase safety and
health for everyone, rather than decreasing un-health and un-safe
conditions (a subtle, but crucial difference akin to the difference
between being average and being great).
- I want a government that promotes education that permeates society and
completely clarifies the laws and the rights and responsibilities for
everyone, as they share the public streets with everyone else.
- I want everyone to be open to finding new and better ways to keep
everyone safe, and to be creative and respectful when encountering
conflict with the general goal of improving things for everyone
(win-win).
- I want to have individuals and groups professionally responsible for
doing research and investigation into ALL of the various possible
elements that contribute to unsafe conditions, and to research all
perspectives of the issue: emotional, physical, procedural, and
cultural.  I want the goal to not be placing blame, but finding better
strategies for a healthier and safer future.
- I want to have a society, government, legal system, organizations, and
peers who value my health and safety needs and take them into account
when making decisions.
- I want to have the opportunity, along with everyone else, to offer my
ideas for solutions for safer and healthier streets and have them be
respected, seriously considered, and given a fair critique for strengths
and weaknesses with the general goal of increasing everyone's health and
safety as the ultimate arbiter.
- I want everyone who wants better bicycling in Massachusetts to focus
on what is most valuable to them and to share those values with everyone
else, so that we can have a goal to work towards.

Your turn!

Peace, Love, and Bicycles,
-Turtle