[*BCM*] Op/Ed

Lee Peters lfpeters at gis.net
Tue Nov 28 13:53:30 EST 2006

That letter is as much about the provincial character of the city as it is about bike parking.  Agreed, the argument is as slippery as a summertime horse apple, but so is that of Landmarks Commission.  The comment is in response to a department in the city that has no business blocking the installation.  The historical citation is mostly sarcastic to directly confront the commission.  The historical inaccuracy is only through omission and remember I only have 186 words.

Coal and Horses?  Well, if we imagine the invention of the bike was triggered by necessity for convenient and low energy transportation, then coal and horses are obsolete for personal locomotion. Trouble is, those inventors kept working, sometimes developing bad ideas.  Think of Orville and Wilbur, one minute they are biking down the street, the next generation their invention is used to drop horse apples onto Dresden.  (please don't evoke Godwin's Law for my WW2 reference)

I appreciate all of your comments and ideas, so don't worry I will still sing in the shower tomorrow morning.

Lee