[*BCM*] Re: NY CITY BLOWS $2 MILLION ON HOT AIR AND NONSENSE

Jym Dyer jym at econet.org
Mon Nov 20 14:43:38 EST 2006

=v= A story about Critical Mass on a Critical Mass list?
Why, by all means, let's change the subject to the neverending
John Forester 3:16 religious flamewar.  After all, the words
"bike lane" were mentioned along the way and cannot ever be
left alone, lest Hellfire consume the sinful unbelieeevers!

> ... who notes that New York is one of the few states that
> *requires* bicyclists to use bike lanes, if they exist on
> the street you happen to be on ...

=v= New York STATE has such a law, but allows cities with
populations over 1,000,000 to diverge from the state law on
various points, and the New York CITY law does diverge on
this very point.  This came up in the Bray v. NYC case (which
was discussed on this list at the time).

=v= Hundreds of us had the New York STATE law listed amongst
our trumped-up charges (our real "crime" was riding bikes in
Critical Mass or a Bike Bloc).  When the point was made in
Bray V. NYC, the city had to drop all those charges.
    <_Jym_>