[*BCM*] Cyclists "shall be subject to the traffic lawsand regulations of the Commonwealth"

Tammy Stroud tammystroud at yahoo.com
Mon May 8 13:53:45 EDT 2006

You will be subject to MY LAWS - you're all sooo
naughty - think you're so cute running lights, going
down one ways, and takin up every lane

i'm gonna whip you on the next ride

and what's this about wide shoulders and smooth
surface - now i'm jealous - how dare u!

TAZ

Turtle wrote:

>As I said, "bicyclists must follow all state trafic
laws, blah, blah,
>blah, and SIGNS."  If there is a sign prohibiting
bicycles on a limited
>access highway, then no, bikes aren't allowed there.
 Otherwise, the
>road is open to bicycles.  Even Route 1 in Saugus.
Most cyclists won't
>want to ride on a road with motorists who are going
well over the 55
>mph speed limit, but they certianly have the legal
right to do so.

I ride on the Providence Highway in Dedham pretty
frequently.  This is a 4-to-6 lane divided surface
road zoned for strip malls, big box stores, car
dealerships, and every flavor of chain frypit known to
These Here United States.   Yee-haw!

It's not so bad.  There are wide shoulders, and most
lefts can be made turn-right-to-go-left
jughandle-style.  The few that aren't have left-only
turn lanes, and since motor vehicles tend to platoon
into clumps as they lurch like the dry-heaves from
red-light to red-light, it's not at all unusual to
have a 200 foot gap between the speeding sedans.  That
gives plenty of time to get into the left lane to make
the turn.

In some places where limited-access highways have
obliterated older roads through the same right-of-way
-- typically in western states -- cyclists may ride on
the highway.  Depending upon the frequency and
conditions of approaches to the entrance and exit
ramps in these places, this is or isn't so bad.  The
stretches between exits might not make for pleasant
riding, but they're usually graded, and the cyclist
can ride well away from high-speed traffic.

In other places, "bicycle facilities" have been
provided so that cyclists who previously rode on
smooth surface roads throughout the year can now share
narrow, hilly, winding paths with dogs, headphoned
roller-bladers, little children, and other bipedal,
quadripedal and wheeled flotsam, as traffic goes by on
the nicely-graded adjacent Interstate.  A good example
of this kind of path is detailed in John Allen's
"Franconia Notch Bike Path Fiasco" page, at
http://www.bikexprt.com/bikepol/facil/franconia/franconia.htm

To unsubscribe email
list-unsubscribe at bostoncriticalmass.org

Release Date: 5/1/2006