[*BCM*] MassBike May Update

David Watson david at massbike.org
Wed May 3 17:56:57 EDT 2006

It’s Bike Month – When Thoughts Turn to MassBike

What can you do to help MassBike celebrate Bike Month?

  a.. Join MassBike today (and get your friends to join too!)
  b.. Donate to MassBike now and you’ll be entered to win a great bike from
Landry’s and Cannondale
  c.. Commute by bike

(To join MassBike or get commuter information, see links below)

To donate now, click here

http://www.active.com/donate/summer06

Save the Date: May 15 is Redbones BBQ’s Bike Week Kickoff Event

It’s been a tradition for 10 years: each May, throngs of cyclists gather at
Redbones BBQ in Somerville to start Bike Week off right, with delicious
barbecue and vegetarian options (tickets are $15), plus a raffle for amazing
bike prizes. Mark your calendars for Monday, May 15 from 5:00—10:00 p.m.
Proceeds from the event benefit MassBike and NEMBA. Redbones is located at
55 Chester Street, Davis Square, Somerville.

Click here for MassBike’s Bike Week Information Page

http://www.massbike.org/events/bw2006/

Register Now for Bicycling 101 in Boston, Easthampton, Newburyport, and
Waltham

Want to improve your urban riding skills? MassBike’s Bicycling Skills
classes are a great way to take your cycling to the next level as spring
approaches. We have free evening classes (Introduction to Bicycle
Safety—this has tips even advanced cyclists will benefit from), and
day-long, on-bike classes on the weekends (Bicycling 101 for
beginning/intermediate cyclists, and Bicycling 201 for
intermediate/advanced). Our classes are taught by certified League Cycling
Instructors and cost $40 for MassBike members and riders from MassBike
partner rides, and $50 regular.

Bicycling 101 classes are coming up soon in Easthampton (Saturday, May 6);
Newburyport (May 13/15); Boston (Sunday, May 21); and Waltham (Saturday,
June 3). You can also sign up for 201 in Easthampton (Saturday, May 13) or
Boston (Sunday, June 25). From beginning to advanced cyclists, these classes
will help you ride faster, better, and safer!

To register for our upcoming classes, click here

http://www.massbike.org/skills/classes.htm

Contact Your State Rep: Get our Bills out of House Ways and Means!

MassBike has two important bills currently stuck in House Ways and Means. We
need your help to get them out of the committee, so they can be voted on.
The two bills are the Bicyclists’ Bill of Rights and Responsibilities (H.
1411), which organizes the state’s bicycling laws and requires that drivers
look before opening their car doors; and Safe Routes to School (H. 2121),
which would earmark a portion of transportation safety funds to help make it
easier for kids to bike and walk to school.

You can find out more information on the bills here:
http://www.massbike.org/projects/legislation.htm

Please call or email (calling is best!) your State Representative and ask
him or her to speak to Chairman DeLeo of House Ways and Means and Speaker
Sal DiMasi, and urge them to move MassBike’s bill along in the process.
Thank you.

Click here to find out who your State Representative is

http://www.wheredoivotema.com/bal/myelectioninfo.php

Western Mass Ride of Silence: May 17

On May 17 at 7:00 p.m., the Ride of Silence will begin in North America and
roll across the globe. Cyclists will take to the roads in a silent
procession to honor cyclists who have been killed or injured while cycling
on public roadways. Although cyclists have a legal right to share the road
with motorists, the motoring public often isn't aware of these rights, and
sometimes not aware of the cyclists themselves.

To join the Western Mass Ride of Silence, meet at Pulaski Park in
Northampton at 6:45.

For more information about the Ride of Silence and other locations, click
here

http://www.rideofsilence.org

Somerville Historic Bicycle Ride: Saturday, May 20, 2006
Co-sponsored by the Somerville Bicycle Committee and the Somerville Historic
Preservation Commission

Meet at City Hall at 10 a.m. on May 20 for a historic tour of Somerville.
The ride will be about 10 miles long and will visit historic sites and
buildings throughout the city.

(Rain date is Sunday, May 21, same time and location.)

Correction:  In a recent communication with our members, we inadvertently
omitted mentioning the Somerville Bicycle Committee’s leadership role in the
successful campaign for a bike parking ordinance. We congratulate the
Somerville Bicycle Committee for making this important measure a reality!

For more information about the Somerville Bicycle Committee, click here

http://www.ci.somerville.ma.us/Department.cfm?orgunit=BICYCLE

Interested in Urban Planning and Livable Cities? Congress for the New
Urbanism Meets in Providence in June

The Congress for the New Urbanism, an organization dedicated to building
livable, bikeable cities, is hosting its annual gathering from June 1-4 in
Providence, RI. This will be of particular interests to developers,
architects, planners, scholars, public officials, and others who care about
building great cities. Register before May 4 to save.

To register now and learn more, click here

http://www.cnuxiv.org/

Sign up for the Mass Red Ribbon Ride (August 12-13)

The Mass Red Ribbon Ride is a collaboration among AIDS organizations in
Massachusetts to raise funds and awareness for HIV/AIDS. Funds raised will
be distributed among the beneficiary agencies providing a variety of
services to those living with HIV/AIDS throughout the state. This ride
donates $1/rider to MassBike to support bicycling advocacy.  Pictured here,
Red Ribbon Riders Dotty Corbiere and Stephen Smith take a break from their
training and let Boston Pedicab (http://www.bostonpedicab.com/) driver (and
Ride participant) Kelly Chase do the work.

Click here to register for the Mass Red Ribbon Ride

https://secure2.convio.net/aac2/site/SPageServer

Commute by Bike

Always wanted to try bike commuting, but didn’t know how to get started?

Click here for commuter information

http://www.massbike.org/skills/work.htm

Join MassBike

If you care about bicycling advocacy, you should be a MassBike member. All
year round, we are working across the state to improve bicycling conditions.
Whether you’re a commuter, recreational rider, or mountain biker, MassBike’s
advocacy efforts help make riding safer and better for you. Please join your
voice with 1850 other Bay State residents and become a member. We truly
appreciate it.

Click here to join MassBike

http://www.active.com/donations/campaign_public.cfm?key=massbike&CFID=749359
3&CFTOKEN=34423737