[*BCM*] Re: Bostoncriticalmass Digest, Vol 23, Issue 2

Ethan Woehrling eew at postmaster.co.uk
Tue May 2 12:07:28 EDT 2006

BIKE OVER TRASH TO SAVE ON GAS
By MIKE MENNONNO, letters at metro.us
May 2, 2006 -- Page 9

Click here to view a printable PDF of this article.
http://www.livablestreets.info/files/2may2006_metro_bikeovertrash.pdf

With T fares set to go up again, and not by a small increment, I�m more
committed than ever to cycling as a viable alternative to cars and mass
transit. Not only is it a greener way to get around, it�s a great cardio
workout, and it�s cheaper and faster than the T. What more could you
want? Since I started biking to work in the Back Bay from Dorchester,
I�ve cut my morning commute time in half.

Sure, there are problems with cycling in Boston. The streets are not
bicycle-friendly, for the most part, and neither are those using them.
And not only are motorists a danger to cyclists, cyclists are a danger
to each other. But part of the reason for this is the lack of dedicated
bike lanes. Organizations like Livable Streets (www.livablestreets.info)
are struggling to raise awareness of Boston�s enormous potential as a
greener, more livable city, but it is an uphill battle, for sure.