[*BCM*] Boston PD no friend of a cyclist

Rob Arnold rsarnold at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 10:47:44 EDT 2006

Of course the problem with politeness is that often when a cyclist is
physically assaulted by a driver, politeness is the farthest thing from the
cyclist's mind. Coursing through the cyclist's veins is a fairly potent (and
justifiable) mixture of fear, anger, indignation, and adrenaline...all of
which combine to taint any civil interaction that follows. Hence, a lot of
cursing. Hence irrational behavior on the part of the cyclist. Meanwhile,
the driver, whose life hasn't actually been threatened, is able to calm down
much more quickly so therefore looks like the "victim" in the situation. And
the narrative of the innocent driver versus the abusive cyclist is very easy
to swallow in the downtown area where "angry messengers" are the norm. But
before we blame messengers for ruining our streets for cyclists, remember
that these kids are running on adrenaline all day, and are in many
near-misses and actual accidents. Their aggression is often a by-product of
the true environment of the  chaotic streets. Most messengers are awesome
people.

I, for one, would love to see police officers trained to expect a cyclist to
be angry and to not assume that that anger is a sign that the cyclist
deserved whatever abuse was visited upon them. And I know many of my friends
would love to see officers trained NOT to discriminate against messengers.
Many of the angry ones are legitimately angry over legitimate issues. I
wouldn't be skeptical about the police's ability to defend my rights had I
gotten any kind of reasonable response the first several times I've
approached them asking for help. One incident involved serious bodily injury
to me, and the officer had the gall to tell me that the accident was my
fault even though the driver, in a fit of road rage, had slammed on his
brakes immediately after cutting me off, which caused me to collide into the
rear of his car at 25mph. In another incident, a different responding
officer said I had no legal ground to file a complaint, even though the
driver of a minivan had swerved into me intentionally, pinning me between
itself and a pickup truck. I didn't get injured in that situation, but if I
went down, I'd have been under the wheels of both vehicles. At what point do
I, then, have the right to file a complaint? Very few cyclists first get on
their bikes hating authority. The hopelessness gets drilled in steadily over
time. Whoever's in charge of that police training certainly has a lot of
work on their hands. I wish them godspeed, because we really could use some
allies in uniform.

Rob