[*BCM*] Boston PD no friend of a cyclist

Paul Schimek schimek at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jun 28 09:56:51 EDT 2006

Anne makes some good points -- especially that going back with friends is
not such a great idea. However, it looks to me that there is a prejudice
problem here. Jon writes:

"I pull up to the police officer to let him know about this aggressive
driver in the Chevy pickup. pause take a deep breath. I quickly described to
him about what happened. pause . deep breath. and his reply was:  "You
probably deserved it" followed by "You bike messengers get what you deserve"
"You're lucky he didn't run you over" "

Also, no matter what words you exchange with an officer, he does not have a
right to "push me up against a street pole."

I must say that this is my fault. I have been holding up the final version
of NHTSA's bicycle program for police officers for a few months now, as I
revise it and look for better photos. Once it's done, we can take it to
Menino and I'm sure he will have all the officers trained in what the laws
are in no time.

--Paul Schimek