[*BCM*] Be the change you want to see in the world.

Anarchist Judaism atheistrabbi at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 8 13:52:35 EDT 2006

Ok, I was a little harsh, but Turtle's comment really upset me.
I was in Iraq for the first year of the war, so I've seen the situation
regress from relatively stable (or as stable as it can be after Bush the
elder's war, Clinton's bombing, and over a decade of economic sanctions) to
a complete and utter hellhole. The situation in Iraq, from my (purely
subjective) perspective, is that most of the people just want to live their
lives without fear, hunger, deprivation, etc. A number of paramilitary
groups, running the gamut from reactionary Islamist to authoritarian
communist to anti-authoritarian autonomist, are waging guerilla warfare
against the occupation forces and against each other. The U.S. military -
assisted by the Iraqi police forces, independent "security" and "defense"
contractors, and the puppet government's army - is conducting a program of
systematic repression and genocide against the local populace. And of
course, corporations such as Halliburton and Bechtel have personnel out
there trying to make as much profit as they can.
The situation is not, as Turtle suggests, one of all-out violence. It is not
a free-for-all where anything goes. There does exist, unfortunately, law and
order and other such fascist nonsense.
The solution, in my opinion, is so fucking simple and common-sensical that
it boggles the mind as to why others have not thought of it. All it takes is
for everyone to shut the fuck up and go home. The people doing the fighting
are always going to end up on the losing end, the only ones who stand to
gain from the senseless violence are the so-called "leaders" of the various
factions. I'm not anti-war, I just think that war is the stupidest idea that
anyone has ever come up with.

With best wishes for PL&A,
-Sholom